Sunday, November 25, 2007

Blog 11: Bamboozled Critique

Since we did not have a class this past week due to the Thanksgiving weekend, I've decided to blog about the most recent thing we did discuss in class. Last class we saw several major scenes from Bamboozled. I found the movie to be a sharp, honest look at race in our modern American culture and was thoroughly surprised at how daring many of the scenes were.

I hadn't seen the movie before we saw it in class and was genuinly glad that it was shown to us. I feel that it's a film that is brutally honest and raw in its depictions of racism and differing perceptions among the races. It didn't pull any punches as Spike Lee was as edgy as ever while directing this movie.

I also connected with what you said about the movie Network. I saw that classic several years before and instantly recognized the scene where Man-Tan tells his fellow brethren to go to their windows and basically say the same thing as was said in the famous Network scene. Judging by what you said about the ending to Bamboozled being similar to that of Network, I drew the following assumption: That a lot of people die in Bamboozled, particularly Man-Tan and/or Sleep And Eat.

I'll never forget the ending to Network, which thoroughly shocked me. I hope we will get to see more of Bamboozled in later classes as it perfectlt demonstrated many of the racial themes and issues we have been discussing in class. I could tell by looking at the startled and impassioned faces of many of my classmates that they, too, had enjoyed and appreciated this honest look at race through film.

No comments: